Mauser k98k from 1944. By Waffenwerke Brünn, Bystrica (dou. 44).
The rifle is not with completely matching numbers and there are in total 3 different serial numbers on it. As the rifle hasn't been altered since it was found may 5th 1945, abandoned in a ditch by the germans, it is most likely exactly as the factory produced it. The rifle's history is known from that day in 1945, written down by the person whose forefather found it, and the numbering and marks tell an interesting story.
The barrel, sight, bolt body and the bolt sleeve has matching numbers. The receiver has no serial number but fits with the right waffenamt number (WaA80). The bolt sleeve and bolt body are however not produced by the Brünn factory (Waffenwerke Brünn, Bystrica) like the other parts just mentioned (marked with Brünn's WaA80). The bolt sleeve has the S/42 marking and WaA63 on the side indicating that this is a Mauser produced part (Mauser Werke AG, Oberndorf) and the bolt body has WaA63. The S/42 marking is an early Mauser mark (1936-1938) and indicates that this is a part that had been lying in store at the Mauser factory for some time. These two parts were most likely sent, without serial number, from the Mauser factory to the Brünn factory as spare parts and then marked by the Brünn factory with the right serial number.
The second set of serial numbers is on the cocking sleeve and the firing pin and matches mutually. Both components are produced by the Erma factory (Erfurt Maschinenfabrik, Efurt) and are marked WaA77 which is Erma's Waffenamt mark. These parts must thus have been sent from the Erma factory to the Brünn factory like the bolt sleeve and bolt body were sent from Mauser. The serial number was however already marked by the Erma factory with their own number.
The third set of serial numbers are on the forward and rear band. They both have the same serial number and the front band is marked WaA77 which means they must have come alongside with the cocking sleeve and firing pin from Erma.
The magazine floor plate is marked byf which is the Mauser factory. The mauser factory had a huge production capacity of the new type pressed steel components. So they became a regular supplier of floorplates to the Bystrica factory which means the floorplate is factory mounted. The trigger guard is marked qnw. The meaning of that mark is unfortunately unknown.
The magazine follower is marked lxr which is the subcontractor Dianawerk Mayer & Grammelspacher, Rastatt. They also delivered magazine followers to the Steyr factory late in the war.
This rifle is probably an example of how the germans were beginning to feel the pressure of the war. There was most likely problems producing enough parts for the rifles which led them to using parts from other factories.
Ofcourse no one can tell with certainty what happened from when it was produced in 1944 to 1945 when it was found, but since the rifle has not been changed since it was found in 1945 the indications are very strong that this is how it was made at the factory.
Pictures of the rifle:
The first eagle sitting on the swastika is a very small marking on the bolt handle. About 2mm high. Wonderful detail.
The second eagle sitting on a swastika is missing the head due to improper marking which is rather common.
The last picture shows the shooting range. You can see the targets way down in the back - it's 300 meters.
Standing, 3 rounds (4.6MB)
Lying, one magazine (8.6MB)